Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Update Mar 2, 2016 on My Fight to Beat Alzheimer's

Well, I tried weaning myself off donepezil by doing only 5 mg per day for 2.5 weeks. My estimation of my cognitive functioning seems erratic. Sometimes OK, sometimes not so well. Then I went onto using Huperzine-A. I noticed some regression where I couldn't plan and make lunch properly.

On Sunday, I had discussed the lunch menu with my wife of making curried turkey with onions and broccoli on basmati rice which I have made many times before. I started getting many of the ingredients together and started opening the ground turkey when my wife came down and saw that I hadn't gotten the onions and cut it up yet which needs to be cooked before the ground turkey. So she helped by cutting up the onions. Then she asked me about the broccoli which I hadn't gotten from the freezer yet either which needed to be done before the meats. We started cooking and then she looked around and noticed that I hadn't started the rice which should have been the first thing I started since that takes the longest, causing us to wait for lunch until the rice was done.

All this caused be to think about my huperzine so I checked my bottles which were from a long time ago when I had wanted to try it out after noticing some cognitive decline. I had started using it in 2011 and then upon more research I stopped because my research said I shouldn't be using it if I had fronto temporal dementia or may be on sertraline anti-depressants. That was after the doctors at McLean hospital diagnosed me as depressed and I thought there was a possibility of Pick's disease (from my PET scan report) and Alzheimer's wasn't even in the picture. So I stopped taking Huperzine back then. Now I had these three bottles of Huperzine-A and wanted to try them out now without looking for an expiration date. They were manufactured 4/2011 and research shows they have a shelf life of about two years if kept in a cool place. So I had to order some and go back on donepezil in the mean time.

For an examples of cognitive issues on 5 mg donepezil (half dose), on Tuesday, I made coconut macaroons and then tried to make a pumpkin pie. Both of those I have made many times before. The macaroons were fine. A simple recipe. The pumpkin pie I messed up because I had turned on the oven to preheat and it beeped and I wasn't done prepping the filling. I rushed and I forgot the evaporated milk in the filling. It was pretty thick and didn't look right pouring it in but I ignored it because the oven was ready and I was using canned pumpkin instead of my usual cooked frozen pumpkin that I had saved from Halloween. Its edible but not the same. This was when I was on 5 mg of donepezil taken 3 hours earlier. So you can see that at 5 mg my cognitive functioning is still spotty.

Regarding the neurologist's recommendation to do more socialization I went to the senior center to socialize with more seniors. I played billiards with someone on Monday and won three games and went to a billiards tournament on Tuesday afternoon to forget my baking mistake. Things went well at the tournament socially. Not so well playing wise. In the practice game I got one ball in and during the tournament I did better but I lost both games in the first round. I think I need some more practice though there was talk about me joining a Holliston billiards team.


I will update next time when my shipment of Huperzine-A arrives and I try that for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment