Popular Posts

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Update to My Fight to Beat Alzheimer's - Weaning off donepezil

I wanted to provide an update on what has transpired since my last entry. My neurologist said I could continue the donepezil until my next 6 month visit before discussing tapering off. But he was also okay with my tapering off the donepezil over a two week period going with a ½ pill or 5 mg daily. He didn't know anything about Huperzine-A from my list of naturopathic and homeopathic remedies books which I gave him. These were Dr. Mark Stengler's “Natural Healing Encyclopedia”, Jenny Thompson's “Miracles from the Vault – Underground Cures” and Peggy Sarlin's “Awakening from Alzheimer's” that recommended the use of 200 mcg Huperzine-A (club moss) which is also a reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor without the higher number of potential side effects that donepezil represents. It is recommended at 1-2 times daily (best at twice daily).

I have been on the half dose of donepezil for about 10 days but will continue until the end of my pill box runs out so after about 2.5 weeks I will go off donepezil completely and switch to Huperzine-A. I also removed the sage from my supplements list since I am trying to cut down on those cognitive supplements and I needed to make room for the Hyal-Joint (Hyaluronic acid) for my neck and frozen left shoulder which developed after a shoulder injury in November.  To date I have been doing fine or the same most of the time.  I did fine on Brain Age 2 training 40 minutes ago and it is now 9:38 pm as I am writing this entry.

For those without access to the books and its research, there is: http://www.realnatural.org/herb-extract-huperzine-a-treats-alzheimers-disease/

No comments:

Post a Comment